5 Reasons Cybercriminals Target Small Businesses (and 5 Ways You Can Outsmart Them!)
If you are the owner or operator of a small to medium-sized business (SMB), you might think that cybercriminals won’t waste their time targeting you. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Studies show that employees who work at SMBs receive 350% more phishing attacks than their counterparts at larger companies. Furthermore, a 2019 study by Ponemon Institute indicates that 69% of SMBs experienced cyber-attacks. When insufficiently protected, SMBs are targets for phishing, account takeover, data breach, and more!
Why Attack SMBs?
So why are SMBs under attack? Wouldn’t it be more profitable for cybercriminals to target companies with more employees and higher revenue? Wouldn’t it be easier for them to launch attacks incognito in the midst of hundreds of employees?
There are several reasons why SMBs make easier targets:
- The importance of password strength isn’t emphasized
- Employees are not thoroughly trained in cybersecurity best practices
- There isn’t a professional cybersecurity team
- Response time to threats and attacks is slow
- There is a lack of resources for forensic cyber analysis and to pursue prosecution after an incident
If any of those set off alarm bells in your mind, you need to reevaluate your company’s cybersecurity and Incident Response Plan immediately!
How to Fight Back
Combatting the ongoing threat of cybercrime might seem overwhelming, but the good news is that you can take control of the situation!
Here are a few ways you can protect your company and employees against these threats:
- Enforce the use of two-factor authentication (2FA) and establish and encourage password complexity policies
- Educate employees so they can recognize and avoid cyberthreats and hold them accountable for upholding security policies and procedures
- Secure your internet connection with a firewall and proper wireless network configuration
- Backup data in the cloud for enhanced security
- Create a schedule for hardware replacement and proactive maintenance
Beat cybercriminals to the punch by ensuring that you have adequate layers of cybersecurity and by preparing your Incident Response Plan before an incident occurs! By taking advantage of our ManagedIT services, the process will be painless for you and your employees.
While cybersecurity is not the most exciting thing to invest in, it is crucial for reaching sustainability and achieving your business goals. By dedicating some of your time and resources to it now, you can save yourself from major disasters later.
Email email@example.com or call 888-235-6860 (ext. 105) to schedule a network assessment and protect your SMB today!